A good skincare routine is essential to maintain healthy and glowing skin. A daily night routine is especially important as your skin enters a reparative phase while you sleep. In this article, we will discuss the ideal step-by-step evening skincare routine.
- Remove Your Makeup and SPF: Start by removing your makeup, sunscreen, and oil and debris from the day. Use a gentle, non-foaming cleanser for this step, such as a cleansing balm or micellar water. You can also use an oil-based makeup remover with cotton rounds if you wear waterproof makeup.
- Gentle Cleanser: No matter your skin type, a gentle cleanser that won’t strip your skin of natural oil and disrupt your skin’s microbiome (read: cause irritation) is essential. Sensitive and dry skin types should look for a hydrating cleanser, while oily and acne-prone skin types can opt for a gentle foaming cleanser.
- Targeted or Spot Treatments: This step is where you can tailor the routine to your skin concerns, whether that’s a serum for hyperpigmentation or a prescription acne product like tretinoin. This is also where you put any spot treatments on active breakouts. However, it’s important to note that prescription retinoids and spot treatments work best on dry skin, so it’s best let your skin dry for about 20 minutes after cleansing before you add treatments with active ingredients.
- Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps retain moisture in the skin. Applying a hyaluronic acid serum before moisturizing can help keep your skin hydrated and plump.
- Eye Cream: The skin around your eyes is delicate and requires special attention. Use an eye cream that is specifically formulated for the eye area to keep it hydrated and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Always Moisturize: Moisturizing is key to keeping your skin healthy and hydrated. Choose a moisturizer that is suitable for your skin type and apply it generously to your face and neck.
- Optional Face Oil or Occlusive: If you have dry skin, you can add a face oil or occlusive to your routine to lock in moisture. Apply it after your moisturizer to seal in all the goodness.
A good skincare routine is essential to maintain healthy and glowing skin. A daily night routine is especially important as your skin enters a reparative phase while you sleep. Follow these simple steps to achieve a healthy and glowing skin.